Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tying Flies

For the past week it has snowed none stop. The rivers are ice covered and that means no fishing. So what do you do in times like this? Tie flies and tie more flies. I have been tying so many flies that I am tying flies in my sleep. I use midge patterns 90% of the time and that what I have been tying. Most of the midges I fish with are sizes 18 to 24s. After tying 2 or so dozen of these flies it gets harder and harder to see what you are doing. When I get in this shape I take a break and let my eyes get back to normal before I start tying again. I tie for around 3 to 4 hours everyday, and in that amount of time I crank out a lot of midges. I have tied around 16 dozen different midge patterns this week and I have to get another fly box just to hold all of these flies.  This just a few that I have been working on.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you have some sweet midges in those trays...
    Here in Colorado thats pretty much all I fish year round.

    ReplyDelete